Would you like to change the look of your smile? A qualified cosmetic dentist can help you achieve your dream look, whether you want to repair chips in your teeth, make your teeth appear longer, or disguise dental stains. But which treatment should you choose to the best results? Lumineers and traditional veneers in Boca Raton are both effective options. Let’s talk about what they are and how you can decide which one is right for you.
What Are They?
Veneers are custom-crafted dental prosthetics that get bonded onto the outward-facing surface of teeth. Their job is to disguise aesthetic imperfections, such as chips, stains, and more. The most common type of veneers are porcelain veneers in Boca Raton, which are sometimes simply called veneers. They are made out of thin pieces of dental grade porcelain, and they are sold by numerous companies.
Lumineers in Boca Raton are a type of brand name veneer. They are made out of Cerinate porcelain, a patented material that is exclusive to Lumineers. Cerinate porcelain is thinner than the porcelain that is used for normal veneers.
How Do They Compare?
Let’s compare a few different aspects of these treatments:
- Effectiveness. Both treatments can produce absolutely gorgeous results. However, regular veneers might be better for addressing severe staining because they are less translucent than Lumineers.
- Durability. Both treatments are durable, but traditional veneers tend to last longer (typically at least 10 years).
- Tooth preparation. Placing regular veneers requires that your dentist removes a bit of tooth enamel so the veneers don’t make your smile look bulky or unnatural. In many cases, this type of tooth preparation is not necessary with Lumineers.
- Permanence. Because regular veneers require some tooth modification, they require a lifetime commitment. Lumineers are reversible if you ever change your mind about them.
- Price. Lumineers often cost less than veneers, but prices vary between practices.
- Treatment process. The process for Lumineers may require less time in your dentist’s office. It may also be slightly more comfortable. (That isn’t to say the process for veneers is very painful, but it is more intensive.)
How to Choose
Your dentist is the perfect person to help you decide on a cosmetic treatment plan. After they examine your teeth and learn about your goals, they can recommend how to proceed. They might point you toward regular veneers if you are looking for a permanent way to transform your smile. On the other hand, if you are budget-conscious or aren’t sure if you want to make a permanent commitment to veneers, Lumineers might be ideal. Whichever one you choose, you can look forward to becoming the owner of a gorgeously transformed smile.
Meet the Dentist
Dr. Steven Feit is a general dentist and prosthodontist with more than 30 years of experience. He devotes many hours to continuing education each year. He is proud to offer both Lumineers and traditional veneers. If you would like to talk to him about your cosmetic dentistry options, reach out to our practice at 561-338-7535.